Contributors

Monday, August 16, 2010

A Loss For Words

"It's right on the inside of his skin"
"What is?"
"The number."
"What number? The number of Satan? Is that what you said?" I asked, trying desperately to understand.
"Yep. It's inside the skin flap on his arm...the number 666...imprinted on Barack Obama's arm."

I was at a complete loss for words. Making matters worse, he said all of this in front of my ten year old daughter who, sadly, is best friends with his ten year old daughter. We were at National Night out and all of our neighbors were gathered in the street around our house which is in the middle of the block. Jeff was my neighbor who informed me of the return of the anti-Christ.

Luckily, I didn't have to stay long as I had to coach tennis that evening. When I got home, my daughter was very upset as was my son. Jeff's daughter had been telling them all night that the government was going to take over everyone and send them to a re-education camp. My son told me that he liked his school and didn't want to leave at which my wife chuckled.

After a few minutes of explanation, I sat and reflected about Jeff and how much he reminded me of others in my life. In this reflection and the period of time since then, I have reached a conclusion: I will no longer be referring to the GOP as the "Cult" any longer. In addition, I'm going to make every effort to analyze what they say without being derisive. This, of course, does not mean I won't be critical or wonder where their reasons and facts are for a particular argument. It does mean that I am done personally attacking or labeling people that are on the right. I will also be relying more heavily on what they say as opposed to my interpretation of it. If they wish to continue to do that with me, it will be ignored and I will respond with impersonal comments. This will also hold true for any comments I have on TSM as well, although I think the transition will be more difficult over there.

Why the change?

As I listened to Paul, I realized that he was really just an unhappy soul. His outrage, much like we see across the country, is based on anomie....or a feeling of normlessness of not being able to function within our culture. Paul works as a mechanic on the rides at Valley Fair, a local amusement park, as well as several odd jobs during the winter. He feels that he deserves more and blames not himself but President Obama and Nancy Pelosi for his problems. Like many people, Paul has not achieved the material success in his life expected of someone his age (40s). This goal of monetary achievement is one of the cornerstones of our culture and, in the eyes of our society, Paul has fallen short and so it's really no surprise that he feels the way he does.

I said earlier that he reminded me of others in my life. My uncle Bill and my friend Pete from back in Wisconsin have the same views that he does. Neither are employed and both are staunchly right wing. They, too, blame Democrats for their lot in life and are angry...frustrated...that things have not worked out the way they want them too. Rather than examine their own faults, they blame the policies of the last 18 months as reason number one for their failure to be upwardly mobile. Their proclamations (my uncle: "That bitch in the House" Pete: "Our country is like the Soviet Union now with President Obama") have always made me sad and frustrated over the last two years.

But it was really Paul's recent declaration that Barack Obama was the anti-Christ that drained all of the snark, bitchiness, and downright obnoxious behavior right out of me. The enormity of it was too much to handle. It was a slow drain over the last two weeks and I have nothing left in me. I'm not perfect so I may slip from time to time but I just don't think my heart is in writing this blog the way I have been. These people need help not chastisement. They need an educator or, failing that, to simply be accepted...somehow....for what they believe.

9 comments:

sw said...

youll last about 2 weeks staying with this conclusion you made.

truth girl said...

I welcome the change. I haven't posted on here for awhile because this blog has degenerated into ugliness. Mark is only partially to blame. I'm hoping this means that the language will also improve.

juris imprudent said...

Well M, congrats on finally understanding what it is like to deal with someone so full of feeling and anger, and that makes so little intellectual sense.

Of course you said something very similar when you discussed Manzi.

Anonymous said...

Well, I watched this channel for a bit after the Manzi transformation and this is kind of a rerun. Perhaps I'll watch again in a while to see if anything changes.

dw

jeff c. said...

I'm not sure the Manzi series was as emotional as this. What do you say to someone like Paul? I'm not sure I could contain myself. Congrats on saying nothing.

juris imprudent said...

Yep, Paul's beliefs are about as whack-a-doodle as what some people believe about 9/11, chemtrails and The Cult.

If the eyes are the window to the soul, I believe that M caught a bit of a reflection in Paul's.

brendan said...

Mark is not in the same category as Paul. Mark's chief criticisms are directed at the principal party members and their message. I haven't seen too many posts about birthers on here. Just a few passing mentions.

I guess I'm generally glad the Cult thing is going away. I agree with blk that it is really more tribal than anything else. Still there are far too many people of right wing persuasion that listen to Rush Limbaugh wall falling asleep (my father in law). It smacks of programming.

dick nixon said...

This is why liberals always lose. They try to take the high road and the Right keeps on chugging away with their institutionalized dickery. I completely disagree with your change, mark. What are you going to do when they label you, personally attack you, call you a fuckwit etc? Nice guys finish last.

juris imprudent said...

This is why liberals always lose.

HAHAHHAHAHAHA

Couldn't have ANYTHING to do with actually being wrong, or out of step with the majority of America (as is the right wing FWIW) - nope - just all about being out-dicked.

What an asshole.